Saturday 21 July 2012

The Tarabotti receptacle(steampunked bin!)

Inspired by Andy Skinner Book of Secrets workshop
 Ok, so who stole Summer?? Seem to be having some strange  weather here in London, sun one minute, real sudden downpours, cold winds - no wonder I've been suffering with flu for the past week :(

Emma & Lorna
Had  visit from my sister Pauline, niece Lorna and her friend Emma at the beginning of the month, so we did some touristy stuff(between dodging downpours) 
Cake shop China Town

Phonebox Covent Garden




Not your normal type of butterfly!




oo-lala

V&A

How to tie a cravat(not!)

just dandy

Lorna's home from home :)
Emma introduced me to a new author, Gail Carriger, who writes steampunk books with werewolves, vampires and preternatuarls, I've just finished the first book of the Parasol Protectorate and started on the second - thanks Emma!  I was inspired by the book and the Andy Skinner Book of Secrets workshop
to steampunk an MDF bin I'd bought at Ally Pally.

Book of Secrets

Step 1 - base embossed card

I tried to take photo's of each stage, starts off with embossed card, die cut cogs, gears, watch parts and embellishments.
Step 2 - black gesso
 Second step is to paint everything in black gesso
Step 3 - burnt umber
 Step 3 - add some burnt umber for metal look
Step 4 - faux metal paint finish 
Step 4 - layer various colours to give an antiqued metal finish.  I'd highly recommend doing Andy Skinner's workshop, his website is http://www.andyskinnercrafts.com/

It was Lorna's birthday and as she's interested in photography too thought it was the ideal opportunity to use my new Tim Holtz vintage camera die - lucky girl got a new camera for her birthday from her mum & dad - but she does need it for school.





11 comments:

Pollydoodle's Cakes said...

Oh wow, this is amazing stuff, I love it!!!!

Ivy (Ivette) said...

Lovely work, I like it very much. I'm a steampunk kind of gal too.

Ivette
n1sunrider.blogspot.com

Lisa H said...

love it! love it! =)

Lisa :) said...

really awesome!

Gillian .... said...

Yvonne, thanks for sharing your awesome steampunk project with us over at Snazzy's, the embosses texture and paint effect is just fab.

craftimamma said...

Hi Yvonne, thanks for joining in the Snazzys DT Steampunk Challenge and I love your entry. That faux metal effect is stunning. Brilliant piece! Good Luck in the challenge.
#
Hugs
Lesley Xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning effects and thanks for the description! It alllooks fantastic! Thanks for joining us over at Snazzys!

Minxy said...

Your bin is very cool, I love that it looks so much more than embossed paper. Thanks for sharing your project with us at Snazzy's

Carol Q said...

that looks fab. what an ingenious idea.

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

stunning! Thanks for all the detailed photos showing us your steps.

Alison said...

Fabulous photos, Your bin & card are amazing! TFS!
Alison x